Financial Information and Awards


Visit the links below for information on fees and financial support for graduate students.

Awards Available to Graduate Students in Music

Tuition and Fees

Student Financial Services (SFS) publishes fees for each academic session.


Fees refunds/credit calculations are based on complete withdrawal from a term, not withdrawal from individual courses. This is because fees are calculated according to a student's program and full-time or part-time enrolment status/activity level. Fees are not calculated on a per course basis.

Financial Support

Various forms of financial assistance are available to graduate students. York University and external agencies offer numerous fellowships, assistantships, scholarships, awards, prizes, and grants. Graduate students are encouraged to consult with their particular program for advice on financial matters.

Throughout the year, notices of scholarships, bursaries, grants and other opportunities for graduate students in music are posted on the grad music bulletin boards and circulated to students via email.

The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) periodically sends external scholarship and awards information targeted to specific area studies or categories of graduate students. Most graduate students apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarships, which are restricted to residents of Ontario. For students with permanent residences outside of Ontario, check with your individual provincial Advanced Education branches for graduate scholarships.  PhD students as well as MA students who are at the stage of applying to PhD programs are urged to apply for a SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. Visit FGS funding and awards pages for more information.

More detailed information about internal financial assistance (including the Fieldwork Costs Fund, Research Costs Fund, Graduate Development and Tuition Bursary Fund) is circulated to all graduate students. Application forms and brochures are available in the music department office.

Information for U.S. students requiring financial aid is available here: Office of Student Financial Services - York University. Student Financial Services is the only office on campus that can certify U.S. student loans.